Roof Replacement FAQ – Most Common Roofing Questions for Winnipeg and Manitoba Homes and Businesses
Roof replacement can enhance your home or business but comes with a steep price. Considering how expensive of an investment a new roof can be, you no doubt have a lot of questions. We provide answers to many of the common questions that you should ask before replacing your roof. Continue reading our new roof FAQ below!
How do I know if I need a new roof?
There are many tell-tale signs that your roof may need to be replaced. Both commercial and residential roofs show similar signs that indicate roof replacement should be considered.
- Worn out roofing materials
- Sagging roof
- Blistering and bubbling in the roof membrane
- Visible water damage to the roof
- Roof Leaks
- Roof Membrane damage
- Bucking and curling shingles on the roof
- Missing granules on the roof’s shingles
- Missing shingles on the roof
- Mold in the attic
- Algae growth on the roof
If you see any of the signs listed above, it may be time for roof replacement.
How do I choose the right roofing contractor?
It’s important when considering roof replacement that you hire a competent roofing contractor. A new roof is a large investment and can cost thousands of dollars or tens of thousands of dollars. So, what is the best way to choose a roofing contractor?
- You should first check up on the roofing contractor to make sure they are fully licensed and insured. The roofing contractor also should have workers compensation, a well-designed website, and be willing to provide proof of their licensing and insurance.
- If the roofing contractor’s business is listed on Google My Business or in Google Maps, check out the reviews that others have left.
- Check the roofing contractors Better Business Bureau profile to make sure they have a good reputation
- Speak to neighbors or other businesses for recommendations on who they have used for a roofing contractor
- Ask the roofing contractor for references and a list of previous jobs they have completed
- Check the roofing contractor’s website to see if they specialize in anything.
How much does a new roof cost?
The cost of a new roof varies depending on whether it is a residential roof or a commercial roof. The type of roofing materials and roofing membranes also play a large role in the cost of a roof.
In Canada, an average home with a shingled roof costs between $4500 – $10,000 depending on the quality of the shingles and the existing roof. Roofing costs can go north of $25,000 for larger homes or more expensive roof materials such as metal roofs.
For commercial roofs, the costs vary significantly depending on the size of the building, the type of roofing membrane used, the labor required, and the condition of the existing roof deck.
For commercial roofs, there are so many factors affecting the cost that it is best to speak to a roofing contractor to get a quote. It’s a good idea to get several quotes from several commercial contractors to get a better idea of whether you are getting a good price.
Factors that affect the cost of a commercial roof include:
- Slope of the roof: flat or sloped
- Commercial roofing membranes and materials: Built-up roofing, modified bitumen roofs, rubber membrane roofs
- Size of the roof
- Quantity of roof structures such as vents, hvac units, drainage systems
- Condition of the existing roof and roof deck
What roofing material should I use?
The roofing material you should use will largely be based on the type of roof and your budget.
If you have a sloped roof, asphalt shingles are likely going to be used as they are long lasting and inexpensive in comparison to other options. If you have a flat roof or commercial roof, there are a plethora of choices. TPO and EPDM are two of the more popular roof membranes today. Other options include modified bitumen roofs and built-up roofs. It is best to speak to a roofing contractor if you are thinking about replacing your commercial roof.
How long will my new roof last?
Different roofing membranes and materials have different lifespans that can vary from 15 years to 50 years. The type of roofing system you install will determine how long it will last. Another factor that will determine how long your new roof lasts is if you perform regular roof maintenance. Camco Roofing Ltd can provide a roof maintenance program to ensure your roof lasts as long as possible!
What is the best time of year to replace a roof?
As we stated in a previous blog post, Ideal temperatures for installing a new roof are temperatures above 45 degrees Fahrenheit or 7 degrees Celsius. These temperatures ensure that any adhesives used can seal properly. Temperatures below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7 Celsius) will not allow the adhesives to cure and create a proper seal.
This means the best time to get a roof installed is late spring or between late summer and late fall. For more information, refer to our previous blog post https://camcoroofing.ca/blog/2022/04/28/when-is-the-best-time-to-get-a-new-roof-installed/
Will a new roof lower my energy bills?
Yes, a new roof can lower your energy bills as it will replace the old roof that may have leaks and inadequate ventilation. The new roof will provide a better seal and insulation can be checked to make sure that it meets current standards.
Share on Social Media: